Saturday, June 26, 2010

Facebook

Visited my facebook page for the first time since I created it last Web 2.0! Hope those who wanted to be my friend were not too disappointed I didn't get back to them!

I know it is a very popular social networking site & is great in some situations e.g. keeping in touch when travelling, but - I am not a fan. It is hard to navigate around, there is too much happening - and who gets time to read all the stuff that arrives? Even with only a handful of friends. Can't imagine what it must be like with hundreds of friends as some people have. Full time - kind of what the college kids were saying in the Youtube clip.

Don't think facebook needs promoting to our customers - those that need it, have it. And I think the Manukau Libraries website is a better vehicle for our activities etc - not lost in the other junk.

1 comment:

tosca said...

Funny and, very probably, fair comment that those that need it, have it or use it already.

The best thing about sites like Bebo and Facebook is that they're not in any way meant to take the place of our library website. It's just meant to promote our services to ppl who might not otherwise visit. Our website can't be everything to everyone and nor should it, but neither is it interactive the way social networking sites are.